Recently I was playing with some mailboxes in Exchange 2010 and I disabled a test mailbox. I then went on to do some other things and a little while later decided to re-connect that disabled mailbox. After the account was connected and everything looked good, I sent a test message to that account. When I did, I got the following error:
Diagnostic information for administrators:
Generating server: ExCAS01.ad.bu.edu
firstname.lastname@example.org #554-5.2.1 mailbox disabled 554 5.2.1 STOREDRV.Deliver.Exception:AccountDisabledException.MapiExceptionMailboxDisabled; Failed to process message due to a permanent exception with message Cannot open mailbox /o=MyOrg/ou=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT)/cn=Configuration/cn=Servers/cn=ExMBX01/cn=Microsoft System Attendant. 16.55847:C1000000, 17.43559:0000000020010000000000001F00000000000000, 255.23226:00000000, 255.27962:FE000000, 255.17082:6C090000, 0.26937:00000000, 4.21921:6C090000, 255.27962:FA000000, 255.1494:00000000, 255.26426:FE000000, 0.22086:05000780, 0.25876:EC030000, 4.7588:0F010480, 0.25840:EC030000, 4.6564:0F010480, 0.56333:00000000, 4.6372:05000780, 0.24916:1DFAFFFF, 4.6276:05000780, 0.51399:0F010480, 4.2567:6C090000, 0.19452:0F010480, 4.2199:6C090000, 0.56415:05000780, 4.48223:6C090000, 4.17097:6C090000, 4.8620:6C090000, 255.1750:2C000000, 0.26849:0F010480, 255.21817:6C090000, 0.26297:0E000000, 4.16585:6C090000, 0.32441:0F010480, 4.1706:6C090000, 0.24761:0F010480, 4.20665:6C090000, 0.25785:00000000, 4.29881:6C090000 ##
Original message headers:
To fix this error simply run the Clean-MailboxDatabase command against the database where the mailbox exists.
My assuption is that the system hasn’t removed the disabled flag on the mailbox itself and running Clean-MailboxDatabase takes care of this. Once I did this, all was fine.